My name is Dr. Edison Gica (pronounced as He-ka). I am a graduate of University of Hawaii with a PHD. Masters in Engineering from the Asian Institute of Technology, and BS in Civil Engineering from University of San Jose-Recoletos.Go to Middle School!
My name is Dr. Edison Gica (pronounced as He-ka). I am a graduate of University of Hawai‘i-Mānoa with a PHD in Civil and Environmental Engineering. I also have a Master’s degree in Water Engineering and Management Program from the Asian Institute of Technology (Bangkok, Thailand), and BS in Civil Engineering from University of San Jose-Recoletos (Cebu City, Philippines). I have worked as a substitute teacher for the Archdiocese of Seattle Catholic Schools and prior to this, as a tsunami research scientist with University of Washington and NOAA Center for Tsunami Research.
7th graders are at a stage where they are curious about moral choices in life, both their own and those of other people. They are also concerned with making moral choices guided by their faith.
Students at this age are conscious of opposite gender, but mostly stay close to their own sex. They are interested in cultivating relationships with friends; desire to be accepted by others.
This age group varies widely in their growth and development. They are adjusting to puberty and their own and others’ related changes. Life for a seventh grader is becoming more complicated because of new and varied experiences, expectations, and rapid physical changes.
• Primary Resources: Alive in Christ
• Faith First: Jesus in the New Testament
• Faith First: Church and Sacraments
• Catholic Youth Bible
• Areas of Study:
• Six Tasks of Catechesis
• Prayer and Worship
• Scripture and Tradition
• Service Projects
• Liturgical Participation
Literature and Vocab:
• Primary Resources: Prentice-Hall Literature short stories & plays; Novel-study: A Long Walk to Water, Call of the Wild, “Romeo and Juliet”; various nonfiction stories & articles • Units of Study: Fiction, Nonfiction, short story, plays
Language Arts (Writing and Grammar):
• Primary Resources: Write Source
• Units of Study (Writing): Descriptive, Narrative (Memoir), Research, Argument, How-to, Speeches
• Units of Study (Grammar): Figures of Speech, Sentences, Punctuation, Parts of Speech
• Primary Resources:
• 5th: Text - Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, Math Expressions Grade 5 (Common Core)
• 5th/6th Compressed: Text - Big Ideas Learning, Big Ideas Math Green (Common Core)
• 6th/7th Compressed: Text - Big Ideas Learning, Big Ideas Math Advanced 1 (Common Core)
• Prealgebra: Text - Big Ideas Learning, Big Ideas Math Advanced 2 (Common Core)
• Algebra: Text - Holt McDougal, Algebra 1 (Common Core)
• Geometry: Text - Holt McDougal, Geometry (Common Core)
• Secondary Resources:
• IXL Online – Math teachers correlate the use of IXL to their specific curriculum.
• Prentice Hall: Medieval Times to Today
• Gibbs and Smith: The Washington Journey
• Areas of Study:
• World History from Fall of Rome through the Renaissance
• Washington State History
• Current events
• Research Projects
• Learning Fair
• Primary Resource: Text - Prentice Hall: Science Explorer
• Area of Study:
• Earth Science:
• The theory of plate tectonics
• The causes and effects of earthquakes and volcanoes
• Life Science:
• Identify organisms based on existing classification systems