In first grade, we learn how to be “Saints in the Making.” We read and watch stories about the Saints and how we can model ourselves to be like a Saint. We learn The Six Tasks of Catechesis:
- Knowledge of Faith
- Liturgical Education
- Moral Education
- Learning to Pray
- Education for Community Life
- Missionary Discipleship and Service.
Reading/Literature: In first grade, it’s exciting when students transform into true readers. They apply their knowledge of how print works and practice strategies to decode unfamiliar words. They learn to…
• Read aloud with fluency, accuracy, and understanding.
• Read for pleasure – stories, informational texts, poems; develop a love for books and reading!
• Identify parts of a story and use character setting, conflict/problem, and main idea.
Language Arts: Common Core Standards to include:
• Reading literature
• Reading informational text
• Reading foundational skills
Math Readiness: Common Core Standards to include:
• Operations and algebraic thinking
• Numbers and operations in Base
• Ten Measurements and data
Social Studies: Students will…
• Use maps, charts, and other geographic tools
• Read the Pledge of Allegiance, learn patriotic songs/poems, and recognize national symbols
• Recognize traits of responsible citizenship; what it means to be a member of a community
Science: Students will explore and learn about…
• Plants and animals
• The earth, weather, sky, sound, light, and heat
• The human body- the senses, growing and changing, personal health, personal safety
Technology: Students will…
• Understand how Chromebooks/technology work and practice safe, legal behavior
• Learn beginning keyboarding skills
• Select and use common applications for learning and weekly testing
Enrichment: Students attend weekly enrichment classes for library, music, PE, and Art.