My name is Stacey Larson. I am a graduate of St. Martin’s University with a BA in Elementary Education. I also earned an endorsement in English/L.A. and a minor in Religious Studies, as well as Catechetical Certification from the Archdiocese of Seattle. Before coming to Cabrini, I taught several years in grades 5th - 8th at a Catholic school in Tacoma. I am very happy to be part of the caring and faith-filled community at Cabrini.
My classroom is a cooperative environment where students, parents and teachers work together to find academic success. The students are challenged to develop academically, socially and spiritually.
Sixth graders are looking for a relationship with God that is personal to them. Authority figures have less influence in their lives. They respond well to guided meditation and learn from sharing their experiences, questions and doubts.
The students are insecure as to where they belong in the group, can be clumsy and socially self-conscious. They are experiencing an emerging self-identity, trying to identify their place in the group, have mood swings, and need a lot of affirmation. They are dealing with peer pressure and cliques and can tend to easily have hurt feelings.
Sixth graders are changing and often don’t understand what is happening to their bodies. They are dealing with puberty, changing behavior, and recognizing and aware of the opposite sex.
• Primary Resources: Alive in Christ and Catholic Youth Bible
Literature and Vocab:
• Primary Resources: Novel-study (Common Core aligned units); Peter Pan, Peter and the Starcatchers, The Westing Game, Black Ships before Troy
• Units of Study: Fiction, Nonfiction, myths, poetry
Language Arts (Writing and Grammar):
• Primary Resources: Write Source
• Units of Study (Writing): Descriptive, Narrative, Research, Argument, Creative (myth)
• Units of Study (Grammar): Sentences (parts of a sentence and sentence errors), Parts of Speech (emphasis on pronouns), Punctuation (emphasis on commas)
• Primary Resources:
• 5th: Text - Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, Math Expressions Grade 5 (Common Core)
• 5th/6th Compressed: Text - Big Ideas Learning, Big Ideas Math Green (Common Core)
• 6th/7th Compressed: Text - Big Ideas Learning, Big Ideas Math Advanced 1 (Common Core)
• Prealgebra: Text - Big Ideas Learning, Big Ideas Math Advanced 2 (Common Core)
• Algebra: Text - Holt McDougal, Algebra 1 (Common Core)
• Geometry: Text - Holt McDougal, Geometry (Common Core)
• Secondary Resources:
• IXL Online – Math teachers correlate the use of IXL to their specific curriculum.
• Prentice Hall: Geography Tools and Concepts
• Prentice Hall: The Ancient World
• Units of Study:
• Early man through Rome
• Presentation skills
• Map skills
• Research Projects
• Primary Resource: Text - Prentice Hall: Science Explorer
• Area of Study:
• Earth Science:
• Mapping Earth’s surface
• Weathering and soil formation
• Erosion and deposition
• Freshwater resources
• Ocean waters
• Weather and climate